Monday, August 26, 2013

Ben Kweller - Ben Kweller

Ben Kweller's self-titled 3rd album is a solo album in every sense of the word. Not only did Kweller write every song, he played every single instrument on this album.

I have to admit that I might not be able to provide objective analysis of this album. It came out right as I was dating and getting engaged to my wife. I put most of the songs on this album on mixes for her, and several of the songs appeared on the playlist at our wedding reception. "Run," "Sundress," "Thirteen," "Magic," and "Until I Die" are all just such perfect songs for my wife that objectivity regarding this album is no longer a realistic possibility.

Disclaimer aside, I honestly believe this is the strongest set of songs Ben Kweller has ever written. There isn't a single note on this album that doesn't hit me in exactly the right place every single time. This is Ben Kweller in his most perfect form.





Baleeted? The only way I can see tossing this album is if the wife and I go through a messy divorce and I suddenly find that this album tears my heart out. I don't think such a thing is on the horizon, so this album will be staying.

No comments:

Post a Comment