Thursday, July 25, 2013

Eric Carmen - s/t

As a fan of power pop, I have nothing but respect for The Raspberries, which is why I bought this album. Eric Carmen is the former frontman of the classic power pop combo The Raspberries. While most people pick up this album for its mega-hit "All By Myself" (yes, the very one you just started singing in your head when you read the name of the song) I picked it up to see if there were any other Raspberry-esque nuggets hidden anywhere else on the album.

The most Raspberry-ish tunes on the album are probably "My Girl" and "Last Night," but they're not quite as good as the "Go All the Way" heights of Carmen's work with his former band. There are a few very pleasant tunes on this album, one instantly recognizable hit, and, I'm sad to say, some substandard filler. Put this album on a set of scales, and there's more going for it than against it, but I honestly hoped it would have been better.


No comments:

Post a Comment