Friday, June 14, 2013

Belle and Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister

While Tigermilk is a nice slice of quiet indie pop, If You're Feeling Sinister cranks the amps from 1 down to .5. Listen to the album opener "Stars of Track and Field" and you'll hear music so quietly beautiful that you'd swear Stuart Murdoch was trying to whisper a secret in your ear.

If You're Feeling Sinister is my all-time favorite Belle and Sebastian album, and I don't think it will ever be topped. It's just laden with great songs. "Stars of Track and Field" "Like Dylan in the Movies" "Fox in the Snow" "Get Me Away From Here I'm Dying" "If You're Feeling Sinister" and "Judy and the Dream of Horses" are all among my all-time favorite Belle and Sebastian tracks. If it weren't for "Step Into My Office, Baby" you could just call these tracks numbers 1 through 6 of my favorite Belle and Sebastian songs. I'm not exaggerating when I tell you that more than half of this album is transcendent, and the rest of it is merely very very ridiculously good. This is one of the greatest indie albums of all-time and if you don't own it I just feel sorry for you and your sub-par life.

Baleeted? No. This is a desert island kinda disc.


No comments:

Post a Comment