Monday, May 20, 2013

The Beau Brummels - The Best of the Beau Brummels 1964 - 1968

After listening to 14 Beatles albums in a row, I was prepared to feel sorry for The Beau Brummels because how could they compare with the majesty of The Beatles? What I found in listening to this album was that The Beau Brummels didn't need my pity at all. They're a dandy 1960s pop group which stands very well on their own merits.

Take a song like "Don't Talk to Strangers." This is a song with a full range of dynamics, interesting harmonies, and a dynamite chorus. This is simply a great song and its status in relation to The Beatles doesn't even enter the picture. If you're looking for a little off-the-beaten-path 1960s pop, you could do much worse than The Beau Brummels. Take a listen to "Fine With Me" and try to tell me you can't dig it. You already dig it, you just don't know it yet.

Baleeted? Not while I still love 60s pop tunes.


No comments:

Post a Comment