Monday, April 15, 2013

Aztec Camera - High Land, Hard Rain

I don't know where I first learned about Aztec Camera, but I'm glad I did. This album sounds like a cross between XTC circa Skylarking and Elvis Costello circa Get Happy!, which is a remarkable feat. There is a definite UK vibe to this album with hints of future Scottish pop (Roddy Frame, lead guitar, vocals, and songrwriter is Scottish) from acts like Teenage Fanclub and BMX Bandits.

The album's opener, "Oblivious" kicks off with an off-kilter XTC-ish jam that turns into pure pop joy at the chorus. This mixture of oddness and sweetness is the very foundation of the album. It never stops being interesting, which is very much appreciated. I'm listening to the album again as I write this review and I don't want to turn it off. This album is a pure delight.


No comments:

Post a Comment