Thursday, March 28, 2013

First 10 - Doctor Strange

My dad is a fan of Doctor Strange from way back. he was in the Merry Marvel Marching society back in the 60's when everything was new and full of promise. Anyway, he was a fan of Doctor Strange, so I thought I would be as well. Unfortunately this wasn't the case. I did enjoy Doctor Strange in The Defenders, and I have always enjoyed his appearances in other series, but his solo series is a bit of a snooze for me. Here's the thing: despite the fact that Doctor Strange could totally kick Superman's butt (Superman is vulnerable to magic, and Doctor Strange is a magician extraordinaire) I don't really understand his world at all.

When magic becomes a part of fiction, you have to give it clear guidelines. Harry Potter is an excellent example of this. You know exactly what the rules of magic are in the series, which makes the story seem plausible. I got no sense of how the world of magic is governed in the world of Doctor Strange. I have no idea what he can and cannot do, therefore I am both less surprised when he does something magically awesome, and less inclined to believe it as well. I am sure the magical world of Doctor Strange was given much more definition in later issues than it was in the first 10 issues, but based solely on the first 10, this isn't a series that I plan on reading soon. Here's where it falls:


  1. Batman
  2. Amazing Spider-Man
  3. Fantastic Four
  4. Deadpool
  5. Booster Gold
  6. Daredevil
  7. The Punisher
  8. Golden Age Green Lantern
  9. The Avengers
  10. The Defenders
  11. Captain America
  12. Golden Age Captain America
  13. Golden Age Blue Beetle
  14. Doctor Strange
  15. Captain Marvel (Marvel Comics)
  16. Aquaman

No comments:

Post a Comment