Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The Apples in Stereo - Travellers in Space and Time

Travellers in Space and Time is a complete surprise for fans of The Apples in Stereo. Before this strange departure, The Apples in Stereo had released six albums worth of 60's-ish indie pop. Travellers in Space and Time is somewhere in the realm of indie electronic. It's as if The Apples in Stereo brought in the guys from Hot Chip for no particular reason.

While this is a radical departure for the band, it still manages to be an entertaining listen. As a fan of electronic music, I can appreciate this album for its own merits. I was surprised by this because I tend to not like it when bands that I like change what they do (I was absolutely horrified when Rivers Cuomo said he wanted Weezer to make rap metal. Luckily the idea was scrapped, but I was prepared to jump ship from my favorite band ever). There are a few dancefloor grooves on this album, and a couple tracks that sound closer to what you know and love The Apples in Stereo for. I'm still hoping the band will be back in regular form for their next release, but Travellers in Space and Time was better than I feared it would be, so there's that.

Baleeted? No, but it came closer than I'd like to admit.


No comments:

Post a Comment