Tuesday, January 22, 2013

alaska! - Emotions

alaska! is comprised of Lowercase's Imaad Wasif and Sebadoh's Russell Pollard. They churn out what appears to be some sort of alternative-ish grunge-ish indie-ish chum. I'm not uncomfortable listening to bands that defy genre (The Mars Volta, anyone?) but alaska! didn't really move me much.

The problem with this album is that it's a tweener. It's not that it exists between genres, but between varying levels of quality. Some of the songs are pretty good while others are not so much. I'm playing it as I write this review, and I genuinely can't decide whether or not I want to delete it. I guess the real test is the fact that I really can't see myself listening to this album again. I'm not even sure where I got it. If I had to guess, I'd say my friend Amber gave it to me. I haven't heard nor seen from her in a few years, so I guess she won't mind if this one doesn't make the cut.

Baleeted? Unfortunately, yes.






No comments:

Post a Comment