Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Aimee Mann - I'm With Stupid

I'm With Stupid is an interesting album for a number of reasons. First of all, the opening track is laced with honest-to-goodness curse words. So much so that I'm surprised the Tipper Gore task force didn't slap a parental advisory on the album. Something about the album opener "Long Shot" just doesn't sit right with me. It makes me feel like this. I dunno, it's something about who I think Aimee Mann is as a person and what I expect from her.

Anyway, musically and lyrically I'm With Stupid is a decent Aimee Mann album. It's a bit too on-the-nose at times, especially for a woman who keeps getting compared to Elvis Costello and other such wordsmiths. That said, this is my all-time favorite Aimee Mann album cover. It reminds me of the time my older sisters, brother and I were strapped into the family suburban running errands with my mom. We stopped back by the house and my mom asked my brother to get the letters off the fridge. She was talking about a few envelopes on a magnetic clip attached to the refrigerator. What he brought back was a handful of the same type of colored plastic magnetic letters you see on the front of Aimee Mann's fridge on the album cover. We all had a good laugh at my brother's expense.


No comments:

Post a Comment