Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Weird Al Yankovic - Dare to Be Stupid

Weird Al is a champ. Know it. Deal with it.

Dare to Be Stupid is a great example of what Weird Al was up to in the 80's: basically the same thing he's been up to since forever. If you are a fan of his quirky humor at all, you'll be able to find plenty to dig on this album. "Like a Surgeon," a parody of Madonna's "Like a Virgin" is spot on. It was funny to me in high school, and it's still funny to me today. It's not that my sense of humor hasn't changed since high school. I spent the last semester of my grad work studying Restoration comedies, all of which I found hilarious (especially Wycherly's The Country Wife. Dibs on writing a screen treatment for a modern update on it. You heard me. I called dibs). My sense of humor has deepened and become more sophisticated since high school, but some things are just funny regardless of how cultured you become.

"One More Minute" and "Yoda" are Weird Al classics. Unfortunately, the man has never made the charts with an original song, but this is not to say his originals aren't funny or good. They're every bit as funny as his parodies, but they don't seem to test well in the non-nerd market. Anyway, "Hooked on Polkas" is as good a polka as the man has ever made. This is a very good Weird Al album, but I would say that the man has only gotten better with time, so I'm hesitant to rate it too highly.


No comments:

Post a Comment