Monday, August 13, 2012

Weezer - Raditude...Happy Record Store Day!

If you frequent independent record stores (you really should), you'll know that once a year there is an event called Record Store Day. If you stop in at coalition stores on or around that day, you can pick up nifty exclusives that aren't available anywhere else. Weezer was good enough to put out this little gem, and it's amazing.

Three of the tracks on this album come from the AOL sessions in which Weezer took songs from Raditude and made them even more awesome by collaborating with other artists. They brought in Kenny G on "I'm Your Daddy" and it totally works. I hate Kenny G, but I love his contribution to this song. They also bring in Sara Bareilles to turn "(If You're Wondering if I Want You To) I Want You To" into a duet. The song was awesome with Rivers on solo vocals, but the duet version launches it through the freakin' roof. Also there's the unlisted track which is "Can't Stop Partyin'" featuring a verse by Chamillionaire instead of Lil' Wayne. My brother and sister-in-law prefer the Chamillionaire version.

In addition to the AOL sessions material, this handy disc is fleshed out with the best live version of "Why Bother" I have ever heard, and an excellent acoustic version of "Buddy Holly." The pièce de résistance of the entire thing (as if it weren't already enough) is a piano cover of Green Day's "Brain Stew." It absolutely must be heard to be believed. I can't adequately describe it. You just need to find your own dang copy.


No comments:

Post a Comment