Monday, August 13, 2012

Weezer - Death to False Metal

There seems to be a difference of opinion as to whether or not Death to False Metal "counts" as a studio release. Rivers Cuomo calls it the band's 9th album, but critics generally do not. My thing about this album is: who cares? It's 10 new Weezer tracks. Listen to them. They'll probably be good.

Death to False Metal came out shortly after Hurley. I have to admit that I was a little disappointed by Hurley at first, but Death to False Metal was not disappointing at all. It generally rocks in an old school Weezer way. I had only heard one of these tracks in demo form ("I Don't Want Your Loving"), but the album version is superior. The rest of the album is culled from non-album tracks Weezer recorded and didn't release over the years. I've generally been happy to find that Weezer leaves plenty of perfectly good scraps on the cutting room floor. Death to False Metal actually sounds like a fully realized album and not just a rarities collection. All the tracks are high quality and hi-hi (unlike some of the things on the Rivers Cuomo Alone series and the Deluxe versions of Weezer's first two albums). I was actually surprised to find how much I absolutely love Weezer's cover of "Unbreak My Heart." They really rock it out and make it their own. Anyway, this one may be more suitable for Weezer geeks like myself, but I can see casual fans enjoying it as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment