Monday, August 20, 2012

Handel - Messiah (highlights)

Every December I make a point of revisiting Handel's Messiah. I currently tend to favor the complete recording as performed by The English Concert and Choir, but before I was able to purchase that complete recording, I had to make do with this version containing highlights from the oratorio as performed by Musica Sacra.

While Handel's Messiah is best enjoyed in its full splendor, I can't fault this recording of highlights at all. It contains most, if not all, of the best arias and choruses from Messiah and all of them are very ably performed by Musica Sacra (the New York one). If you prefer to only have a taste of the splendor of Handel's masterwork, I would point you to this disc. If you want the full work in all of its glory, I would point you elsewhere.



No comments:

Post a Comment