Friday, August 10, 2012

First 10 - Booster Gold

I already knew I loved Booster Gold before I ever laid eyes on this first issue. He and Blue Beetle featured heavily in 52, a series I really loved. The best thing about Booster Gold is that his struggle isn't necessarily against villains, though they do factor in. His greatest struggle is with himself. He struggles to overcome his past (which is in our future) and often finds himself needing to get out of his own big, dumb way. He means well, but he isn't entirely innocent.

Booster Gold thief from the future whose powers come from the technology he stole. He traveled back to our time so he could join up with the Justice League and make a name for himself. He's a money-grubbing grandstanding arrogant jerk, but the comics are so well-written you can't help but cheer for the guy. He's basically Captain Amazing from Mystery Men.

I knew I would enjoy the first 10 issues of Booster Gold, but I didn't know I would love them as much as I did. I found myself absolutely absorbed in the story, and I didn't want to put the series down after a mere 10 issues. Later issues in the series call Booster "The Greatest Hero the World Has Never Known." That statement pretty much sums up everything you need to know about Booster Gold. If you're looking for a new series to read, this is a very interesting and engaging one. Here's how it impacts the First 10 standings:


  1. Batman
  2. Amazing Spider-Man
  3. Fantastic Four
  4. Booster Gold
  5. The Punisher
  6. Golden Age Green Lantern
  7. The Avengers
  8. Golden Age Blue Beetle
  9. Aquaman

I know #4 doesn't seem too high for a series I really loved, but look at the iconic series Booster Gold is up against. Anyway, I don't know when I'll do another First 10. I need to get back to my X-Men reading. Those issues are really piling up.

No comments:

Post a Comment