Saturday, August 25, 2012

a-ha - East of the Sun, West of the Moon

This is simply the very best a-ha album ever made (and no, it's not the one with "Take On Me." I tend to compare this album to U2's Joshua Tree in my mind. Joshua Tree had "Where the Streets Have no Name," "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For," and "With or Without You" as the three songs that are so great that they absolutely eclipse everything else on the album. East of the Sun, West of the Moon has "Crying in the Rain" (yes, an Everley Brothers cover), "Slender Frame," and "Waiting for Her" which, though not sequential, still eclipse everything else on the album. Joshua Tree has "Running to Stand Still," and "In God's Country" as great songs that tend to be overrated because of how great the big three songs on the album are. East of the Sun, West of the Moon has "Early Morning" and "East of the Sun" filling that same role. Oh, and let's not forget the outdoor black and white photo of the band on both covers. I know it may not be true for everyone, but to me, this will always be a-ha's Joshua Tree. Consequently, it also happens to be my very favorite a-ha album.


No comments:

Post a Comment