Saturday, July 21, 2012

TV on the Radio - Young Liars

There were really only two records the employees at Hoodlum's forced me to buy. One of them was Holy Roller Novocaine by Kings of Leon. The other was the EP you see on the left, Young Liars EP by TV on the Radio. I remember wandering into Hoodlum's to talk with Heath about hockey (he was a Flyers fan, but he was the only real hockey fan I knew, so I didn't let the fact that his Flyers kept bouncing my Leafs from the playoffs stop me from talking puck with him) and he was playing this EP. It sounded weird to me and not at all the sort of thing I would enjoy. Heath smacked a copy down on the counter and told me to buy it. He rang it up with a discount, so I felt it would've been rude to resist. I brought it home and didn't listen to it for a while.

Eventually TV on the Radio became a thing, and I figured I should listen to the EP and figure out what all the hubub was about. When I put the disc on, I opened up the liner notes as I habitually do and was surprised to find that the EP was recorded in a Brooklyn bedroom. The DIY nature of the EP gave it some cred, and upon repeated listens I found myself really enjoying it. It would be nearly impossible to describe TV on the Radio to someone who had never heard them. I know one review described them as post-rock, but I have no idea what that even means. There are some electronic, hip-hop, and indie elements in the music, but it would be a lie to say that it fits nicely in any one of them. Basically TV on the Radio is a bunch of interesting dudes who make interesting music. This EP opened my eyes, but I won't pretend I was on the band early. Heath was.


No comments:

Post a Comment