Thursday, June 7, 2012

Various Artists - Saturday Night Fever Soundtrack

Say what you want about disco, The Bee Gees, or anything else related to this soundtrack. This album (which was a double LP in its original release) was purchased by more than 15 million people in the United States alone. There was a time when 15 million people in the U.S. got together and said, "This is great."

I'm just here to say that those 15 million Americans and several other millions worldwide were not wrong. This is a great album. The Bee Gees are an underrated group (they had a career that started before and continued after disco, but most people don't bother to know that) that contributed the lion's share of songs to this classic soundtrack. I love everything about this album, from the David Shire instrumentals to the ridiculousness of Kool and the Gang's "Open Sesame". I got really into disco when I was in high school and I'm proud to say that with a few hours of memorizing John Travolta's solo dance number and embellishing it with some of my own moves, I am undefeated in disco competition. So yeah, I know of which I speak. This is great disco music that absolutely transcends its much maligned genre.


No comments:

Post a Comment