Monday, June 4, 2012

Various Artists - Rising! Synthpop vs. The World

This very fine synthpop compilation was a gift from my two older sisters. They were spending a summer with my grandma in Salt Lake City and heard this playing in a local record store. They dug it and thought I would too, which I do. Different Drum Records, the label that made this record and is your #1 source for hard-to-find electronic music, is a Utah-based company (Mormons love they synthpop. That and all-male a capella groups. I can't explain it and I won't bother to try) so I doubt I would have ever come across it if my sisters weren't in Utah.

Anyway, Rising! gives a fine overview of the many fine groups in the Different Drum stable. Highly recommended are "Winter Song" by Brave New World, "Everytime" by Front and Centre, "I Could Have Danced All Night" by Tinmen, and "Someway, Somehow" by Fineline. This disc has gotten a lot of spins over the years and I can definitely see the trend continuing.

No comments:

Post a Comment