Monday, June 25, 2012

Smashing Pumpkins - 1979 Single

I believe I mentioned before how the singles from Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness were released in a half-dozen different formats per single. This particular copy of "1979" is the exact same track listing as The Aeroplane Flies High box set single.

While I docked a few points from "Tonight, Tonight" for merely making me wish I was listening to Mellon Collie, "1979" is a banquet unto itself. It features 6 tracks, 5 of which are absolutely fantastic. Tracks like "Ugly" and "The Boy" are just as good as the title track if not better (on certain days of the week I absolutely prefer "The Boy" to "1979"). The feel of this single is very much in the same jangly-yet-slightly-discordant style of the title track. There are no true all-out rockers, but those aren't my favorite Pumpkins tunes anyway. This single lays out some of the better tracks from the Mellon Collie era, proving that for a short while Billy Corgan had an unquenchable well of great songs to draw from.


No comments:

Post a Comment