Friday, June 1, 2012

The Refreshments - The Bottle and Fresh Horses

Whereas Fizzy Fuzzy Big & Buzzy was a clear cut Refreshments release, The Bottle and Fresh Horses could just as easily been a Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers release (and yes, there is a difference. The Refreshments skew a little more toward rock whereas Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers skew a little more toward country).

Let's get this out of the way: I hate this album art. It's ugly and unappealing. I don't blame The Refreshments much, it's not like they were the only band in the 90's with atrocious album art (I'm looking at you, Dada). I loved The Refreshments' first album, but hesitated to buy this one, mainly because it looks like crap. Thankfully it doesn't sound like it looks. By the time I bought this album (several years after its release and the band's breakup and rebirth as Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers) I was already big on Roger Clyne, so it was absolutely up my alley. It also answered the question of where some of the songs I didn't know were coming from when I went and saw Roger live.

I really love it when The Refreshments make reference to Dead Hot Workshop, which they do on "Tributary Otis," because I feel like it's the only mainstream recognition Dead Hot Workshop ever gets. There are plenty of good Roger Clyne-ish country-rock songs on this album. I recommend "Heaven or the Highway Out of Town," "Buy American." and "Una Soda."

No comments:

Post a Comment