Friday, January 13, 2012

The Wildebeests - I Feel Alright b/w Dinosaur

Presented in glorious mono, it's another Wildebeests 45. When I told you that I purchased every Wildebeests 7" in the bin, I was not lying to you. Now I am faced with the challenge of coming up with new words to describe what is essentially the same style of music.

The thing about garage rock is that you either understand it and love it or you think it's ridiculous to listen to music that is intentionally sloppy and lo-fi or you have never heard of it as a musical movement or genre or you just don't care about it. Those are the only ways you can feel about it. So let it be written, so let it be done.

Filler aside, this is another great Wildebeests record. I actually prefer the b-side "Dinosaur" to the a-side "I Feel Alright." I was just about to say that "Dinosaur" sounds like a Link Wray track and I decided to look into  it first. On the backside of the jacket, whose name should appear in the songwriting credit for "Dinosaur"? Link Wray. I'm glad I checked first. It would have been like the time when I told a bunch of guys that the guy from the movie Labyrinth looked like David Bowie. They laughed me to scorn. In my mind he just looked a lot like David Bowie because what would David Bowie ever be doing in a 1980s fantasy movie? What indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment