Sunday, January 15, 2012

AC/DC Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap

If you would have asked me (before I looked it all up) what year I thought Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap came out, I would have been off by at least a decade. I don't know what it is about the album art and the songs themselves, but this album doesn't look or sound like it came out the same year High Voltage did (1976).

I don't want to knock Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap, but it does have the look and feel of some of they 80s work, which many saw as a decline in quality. Just look at the album covers for AC/DC's 1970s albums. Let There Be Rock, Powerage, If You Want Blood, and Highway to Hell all feature either Angus or the entire band doing something that would only seem to strengthen the belief of concerned parents who really believed AC/DC stood for Anti-Christ Devil's Children or After Christ Devil Comes. Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap features normal people with their eyes blacked out. It just seems more like a Fly on the Wall era album cover.

The music on Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap is still very good. The title track is one of the more famous and beloved AC/DC anthems, and one of my favorite AC/DC tunes is on the flipside: "Ride On." For some reason I remember hearing it in a movie soundtrack (not Maximum Overdrive, which I have never seen) and that's where I fell in love with it, but I can't remember what movie it was now. Oh, and "Big Balls" makes my inner 12-year-old giggle.

No comments:

Post a Comment