Saturday, July 2, 2011

Happy Canada Day

I may or may not have been a Canadian in a past life (I was probably former Prime Minister Lester B. Pearson because there isn't such a thing as a past life in which you weren't someone historically important or famous). I'm a big fan of the Great White North (referring to Canada, not the Bob and Doug McKenzie album) and everything it entails (yes, even curling. I love watching curling). I even like to take a little time on July 1st and do something Canadian. In previous years I've watched old hockey games on VHS, eaten copious amounts of bacon, and sung O Canada at the top of my lungs. This year I did something a little more nerdy.

In all the world there are precious few teams of Canadian superheroes. As a matter of fact, I'd be impressed with anyone who could name one other than the one I'm about to name. Anyway, Alpha Flight is pretty much the only game in town as far as Canadian superhero teams are concerned. Alpha Flight has a history of being down on their luck both in the stories depicted on the pages of their comics and as a comic franchise in general. Alpha Flight comics have been cancelled no less than 3 times. Each final issue ends with letters from fans pleading with Marvel to reconsider. It's sad, really. Alpha Flight was also down on their luck in the comics as well. The story begins with Alpha Flight being closed down due to a lack of funding (art imitates life). At the end of the first issue they're operating out of a small apartment, which it looks like they might get evicted from soon. Alpha Flight is living like a band who can't get a record deal.



Hard times aside, I really enjoyed my first Alpha Flight comic. I started with volume 1 issue 1 (pictured above), and it did not disappoint. Not only are all the characters brought in with great introductions as to who they are and what their powers are, they fight an awesome villain pictured below:


That tiny blue speck at the bottom of the frame with a thought bubble is Snowbird, a member of Alpha Flight. As you can see, their first villain is gigantic. His name is Tundra and I won't rob you of finding out where he comes from by explaining that here. It's a pretty cool story.

The Alpha Flight team is comprised of some pretty cool heroes. You have Vindicator (later Guardian) who has all sort of powers due to the super suit he built (also, the suit has the Canadian flag on it. That has to be worth some powers right there). Aurora and Northstar are a brother/sister duo with matching uniforms and the power of flight (does that do anything for ya?) and super speed. Snowbird who has the power of flight as well as the ability to shapeshift into any animal native to Canada. Shaman, a First Nations man who has a magic bag from which all sorts of things can be summoned. Sasquatch, who is exactly what his name implies (some of these characters seem a bit too on-the-nose when explaining them, but I promise they're a lot cooler in the comics). Puck, the super-strong super-agile midget. Finally there's Marrina, who is sort of a female Aquaman. Between them all they've got threats covered by land, air, or sea. Not a bad team at all.

Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed my first Alpha Flight comic. I don't think I'll rate it because I was reading it for Canada Day, and ratings don't seem to be in the spirit of the day. What is in the spirit of the day? Well, I may or may not have listened to all of Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves by Rush while reading Alpha Flight. Now that's a nerdy Canada Day. I think I'll do it again next year except I'll substitute the Rush for Triumph.

No comments:

Post a Comment