Saturday, July 2, 2011

Dramarama- Vinyl

I bought this album the same week I bought Bellybutton by Jellyfish. The two albums and bands have almost nothing to do with each other, but both were recommended to me by a nice record store employee who was trying to introduce me to good things that are a little off the beaten path (his name is Steve and he co-owns Hoodlum's in Mesa).

Vinyl is an interesting album. It brings the same jangly college rock as the rest of the Dramarama catalogue, but about half the tracks have some odd audio clip tacked onto the beginning. For example, on the track "Haven't Got a Clue" (personal fav track of the album) you hear someone dial a phone and a cartoonish voice asks, "Where's my father?" only to be answered with a gruff, "Huh?!" It doesn't make any sense, and I guess that's the point. If you're an 80s or 90s college rock band you don't really have to make much sense.

Strange intros aside, Vinyl was my introduction to the world of Dramarama. I soon found all the tracks on Vinyl to be to my liking, and that's why I rushed out and bought 3 other Dramarama albums. If you like late 80s to early 90s R.E.M. you'll probably dig Dramarama. I know I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment