Sunday, May 29, 2011

Elvis Costello-North

I bought this album and didn't know the crazy powers it had until I was too old to realize what was in my hands. This album should have been sold to me by a mysterious Chinese man in a shop that won't be there the next time I try to find it for all the mystical powers it holds. "What powers?" you ask. How about all the crap those Axe body spray commercials promise, only without the smell of overpowering cologne mixed with pepper spray. Simply put, women love this album. Elvis Costello wrote all these songs as a tribute to his dearly beloved Diana Krall. The simple devotion and depth of love indicated in these songs touch that part of a woman's brain that makes her wish she had someone to love her that way. I'm not saying women are dumb or easily taken (which is exactly what those Axe commercials are saying). I'm saying Elvis Costello's aim is true. This album is dripping with a sincerity that can't be faked. Who doesn't want to be loved simply and purely and without guile? And that's why this album is powerful. Guys: put "Still" or "Let Me Tell You About Her" on a mix for that special lady in your life and then try your darndest to love your lady like Elvis Costello does in those songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment