Monday, May 30, 2011

Dengue Fever-Escape From Dragon House

My feelings about this album are clouded over by a few things. First of all, I lived in Cambodia on two separate occasions and I am as fluent in Khmer as a white boy can get. Secondly, I have been a fan of Cambodian music even though I must regrettably acknowledge that much of it is derivative, openly ripping off Thai, Chinese, and American melodies. Also, most of contemporary Cambodian music is way behind the times and it generally sucks. It's been a long time since Sin Sisamuth was putting out song after song of pure gold based in Cambodian culture and folklore. It's not that Cambodian music has never been good (classical Khmer music and instruments are downright fascinating and music from the Sin Sisamuth and "Cambodia Rocks" eras are of the highest quality). So when I found out that there was a band making really good Cambodian music, I was on board. Maybe Dengue Fever doesn't compare as favorably with non-Cambodian artists, but they make the best Khmer language music I have heard in the past 10 years. Also, I can't resist the female Khmer voice. I never could.

No comments:

Post a Comment