Monday, May 30, 2011

Def Leppard-Adrenalize

Adrenalize has gotten a bit of a bad reputation over the years as an album that marked the downfall of a great 80s metal band. The sad thing is that I was not aware of this fact until fairly recently. As I indicated before, through an experience in grade school I found out that Def Leppard was one of the bands that made cool kids cool. I desperately wanted to own their albums. I even put it on my Christmas list one year, which prompted my mom to ask, "What kind of a toy is a Def Leppard? Is it like a ninja turtle?" When I told her that it was a metal band, she refused to get it. We just didn't listen to metal in my house. When I was 16 and had some of my own money, I found three Def Leppard cassettes for sale at a yard sale and snatched up all three. They were High n' Dry, Pyromania, and Adrenalize. This was years after the Christmas list incident, and my Mom didn't stop me from buying the tapes. I put Adrenalize on in the car. The song that came on was "Stand Up (Kick Love Into Motion)" a nice little ballad. Surprisingly, my Mom actually enjoyed it though she didn't care much for the rest of the album. Anyway, Adrenalize had a lot of my favorite Def Leppard tracks: "Stand Up" "Let's Get Rocked" "Have You Ever Needed Someone So Bad" etc. I liked High n' Dry and Pyromania alright, but I really loved Adrenalize. So either I don't know what makes a good hair metal album, or taste in such things is purely subjective. I don't know what to believe, but I know I still like this album despite everything that's been said about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment