Monday, May 30, 2011

The Cranberries-No Need to Argue

This is one of the first albums I made a point of buying on CD. The others were Weezer's first album and the two best Smashing Pumpkins albums. For nearly a year I only had 5 CD's in my collection, and No Need to Argue got as much playing time as the others. In 2011 Weezer's blue album is a modern classic as are Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness. I have heard precious few talk about what a great album No Need to Argue is, which is somewhat of a shame. I can understand both sides of the fence as far as Dolores O'Riordan's voice is concerned. I didn't really care for her yodel style vocals the first time I heard them. What brought me over to the other way of thinking? Two syllables: "Zombie." "Zombie" is without question the hardest rocker in The Cranberries catalog, but it's more than just a loud song, it's a very good one. The first time I heard O'Riordan sing, "with their tanks and their bombs and their bombs and their guns" part of me thought she was dumb for saying bombs twice and the other part was busy dealing with chills up and down my spine. This song still gets to me and it's been 17 years since it came out. No Need to Argue might be a little overlooked and underrated now, but not by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment