Sunday, May 29, 2011

Counting Crows-August and Everything After

From the very first time I heard Adam Duritz's voice on the opening line of "Round Here" I knew I would love the Counting Crows. He had this Michael Stipe quality in his voice, but they were playing music that sounded like nothing else I was hearing at the time (sure, there were similar things in jam rock, but I didn't know about that until college). It was this perfect mix of the "woe is me" 90's aesthetic mixed up with jam rock and a healthy dose of The Band-style Americana (The Band really defined Americana, even though the majority of the members were actually Canadian). The very first time I heard the "yeah" on the end of rain king I had chills run down my spine. I rewound and listened to that "yeah" four or five times before I let it advance to the next track. Even though Adam Duritz has put on weight and plowed through half the starlets in Hollywood (not necessarily in that order) I still love this band. They haven't put out a record I didn't like, which is more than I can say for many of their contemporaries.

No comments:

Post a Comment