Saturday, May 28, 2011

Collective Soul- s/t

This album was big in 1995. How big? The resident Metallica fans at my high school were all in love with this album and played it constantly. They blared the song "Gel" so much I knew all the lyrics before I ever bought this disc. I was right on board with everyone else who thought this album was the bee's knees. At the time I was really trying to expand my musical taste, and the sound on this record scratched a big itch I was feeling at the time. The only problem with this album is that time has not been kind to it. I used to really rock out to "Gel," but I can't listen to it anymore and not think I was a little dumb for liking that song so much. Yeah, I know my rule about not being ashamed of things you like. It's just that there are records from the 80's that don't sound as stuck in their decade as this album does. I still listen to it from time to time and try to conjure up the way I felt about it in '95, but I just can't. I wish time hadn't dulled this one because I really loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment