Saturday, May 28, 2011

Collective Soul-Hints and Allegations and Things Left Unsaid

The first time I heard this album, my friend Kirk was playing it in his parents' van (not minivan, van. This thing had the camper top and everything). He told me that Collective Soul was a band from the 70's that recorded this album in the mid 70's, but the record companies wouldn't put it out because it didn't sound like anything else at the time. It sat unreleased until music caught up with what the Roland brothers were doing 20 years earlier. If that story was at all true, this would be one of the most awesome albums ever. Because it is not true this is just another alternative record from the 90's. It has a couple hits, a few misses, and generally sounds ok, but as always presentation is everything and I don't think I'll ever get over the disappointment of finding out that this isn't a lost classic, it's just an album.

No comments:

Post a Comment