Saturday, May 28, 2011

The Cars-Anthology



 When I was in high school there was this kid from the neighboring town of Heber named Chip Cheney. Chip was the very pajamas of the cat as far as the girls I knew were concerned. I secretly hated his guts though I had never really met him. I just didn't like hearing his name all the ding dong day. Anyway, one night I was driving the family suburban filled to the brim with high school buddies and Chip was with us. He handed me this compilation and asked to put it on. He asked me if I had ever heard The Cars. The only Cars song I had ever heard was "Drive," which a friend put on a mix tape for me. "Drive" is kind of a boring slow song, so I assumed our little Don Juan was going to bore us to death with ballads. He had me put on disc 1 of this double disc anthology and when "Just What I Needed" came blaring through the speakers, things got taken to a whole 'nother level. I realized that Chip must be ok if he can dig something as amazing as The Cars, and I knew that I needed to get my grubby mitts on some Cars of my own. Track after track of delicious Cars songs blared away into the night. Fuzzed out guitars, synthesizers, great hooks, and pure joy. The Cars are forever. They have never and will never get old. I didn't know at the time that I was listening to tunes from the late 70's and early 80's. I was big on The Rentals at the time and for all I knew The Cars were their contemporaries. They just sounds so amazingly fresh. Anyway, I can't say enough about how The Cars sound to fresh ears. Go get yourself some.

No comments:

Post a Comment