Saturday, May 28, 2011

The Carpenters-Singles 1969-1981



The Carpenters hold the distinction of being the only band my mother has ever seen live. There was a time in my childhood where I could not be more bored to sit and listen to Carpenters albums, which we had in great supply. When I started playing in bands and changed the way I listen to music (picking out individual parts rather than zoning in on a song as a whole) I realized that not only were The Carpenters more complex than I realized, they were much more talented and a lot more interesting musically than I had given them credit for. I immediately started buying the same Carpenters albums on vinyl that I hated as a kid. I also picked up this singles compilation that gives a good overview of The Carpenters. Sit down sometime and listen to the bass lines in Carpenters songs. Listen to the drums. Listen to the guitar solo in "Goodbye to Love." There's a lot more to this brother and sister team than meets the eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment