Saturday, May 28, 2011

Big Star- Third/Sister Lovers



 When I joined my first band (an acoustic indie trio. We were pretty darn good, actually) with a borrowed bass guitar and no previous experience, the lead singer/songwriter/lead guitarist told me that all the best bands in the world cite Big Star as a major influence (He gave Teenage Fanclub and The Posies as examples, both of which were bands I had never heard at the time). If they were the Velvet Underground all over again I felt it my duty to own their stuff. This is not the first Big Star album I bought, but it's the best. Somewhere along the way someone absconded with my copy of #1 Record/Radio City, which is probably why I now prefer Third/Sister Lovers. A great album for people who like music and for people who like musicians who like music.

No comments:

Post a Comment